Wednesday, December 29, 2010

SWIMMING CAPS - WHICH ONE IS RIGHT FOR ME!

I know anyone can write an article on any subject but what fascinates me is how a person that isn’t a true swimmer can tell you the true difference in swim caps. Yes, we can research a topic; until you actually wear each type of cap and test them out yourself, your first hand information can not be expressed.
Many of my clients have asked me over the years, “What cap is better to wear in the water?” I will give you the 411 on the three types of swimming caps (Latex, Silicone and Lycra) that are most widely used by swimmers.
Latex Caps
-          Made of rubber- Not for Latex Allergic swimmers
-          Less Expensive
-          Fits tightly/Stretches
-          Protects hair from damaging pool chemicals
-          Pulls your hair out
-          Easily ripped or damaged

Silicone Caps
-          Made of soft material
-          Moderate price
-          Slick so it must fit tightly
-          Protects hair from damaging pool chemicals
-          Unlikely to pull out your hair
-          More durable

Lycra Caps
-          Made of fabric- Bathing suit material
-          Most expensive
-          Looser fit/more comfortable
-          Hair will get wet- exposed to pool chemicals
-          Longer lifespan- Tearing is very rare/wear out before ripping.

I have worn all of the above caps throughout my swimming career. My thoughts on all three are as follows:

1)   Latex Caps- Don’t like Latex Caps at all!  You may ask, why such a strong opinion. All I can remember about wearing Latex Caps is my hair was pulled out all the time!  Thumbs down to this cap. Sorry Latex Cap industry. Hopefully I don’t end up like Oprah when she talked out against beef and ended up in Texas on trial. Naaaa. I’m no Oprah…..at least not yet!

2)   Silicone Caps- I like silicone caps because they don’t pull out your hair and they do keep your hair from the exposure to pool chemicals. But if you read my blog, OH MY HAIR”, you will be informed about the two hair care companies I recommend to all my swimmers so the pool chemicals don't hurt your hair.

3)   Lycra Caps- I wear only Lycra Caps.  Even though it does not keep my hair dry, the hair care products I recommend in my blog, “OH MY HAIR”, makes me not really be bothered. I have relaxed and medium length hair, swim often and the chemicals have not damaged my hair.

So you can see all three caps are made of different materials, act differently to the hair and perform differently in the water. Your preference, price point and comfort will determine what swimming cap works best for you. Hope this helps with your swim cap questions.

See you in water!