Thursday, November 18, 2010

OH, MY HAIR!

OK, everyone. Here is my pet peeve comment made by my clients, “OH, MY HAIR”.  The title may make you say, “What?” but  believe me it gets said. Let me explain - I spoke to a father of a female child whose parents wanted to have their daughter learn how to swim. He and his wife are willing to pay for lessons and transport her anywhere. Here’s where it gets interesting; the daughter's only comment was “MY HAIR!”  If I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me, I would be rich. Here’s the problem - if you aren’t able to float or swim, you totally exclude yourself from many things. Yes, swimming is one but let’s not forget kayaking, lifeguarding, sculling, scholarship money, alternative exercise to decrease Hypertension, Cholesterol etc... The list goes on and on.

I am amazed and upset at times but not surprised. You may say why should it upset me at all. Ok, here are the reasons:
1) Drowning is the second leading cause of death among children
2) Out of 9 drownings a day 6 are minorities
3) The deaths that occurred on Louisiana, Long Beach, and a pool in Connecticut last Christmas all could have been avoided with water safety and/or swimming lessons.

Ask any parent or adult of a drowning victim if they wished they could do something different. I bet 100% would say YES.  Frightening to think “Your Hair” may someday put you in danger. Ladies, the long and short, your hair will not matter if something happens to you and you cannot control nor have an idea how to deal with your environment.

On the swim swim swim I SAY website , I recommend two companies, Carol’s Daughter and Jane Carter’s Solutions, for any type of hair. I do not make any money from boosting their hair lines. What is great about both companies - All Natural Ingredients, no Petroleum Jelly, no Wax etc. I have used both companies’ products for years. FYI Ladies - My hair is relaxed and down to the middle of my back. And if you would like my hairdresser’s name to confirm my locks of steel after all the swimming I do, call me. One more thing Ladies, I wash my hair at least 4 days a week between swimming and just working out. And my hair has not fallen out and actually has grown.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is, STOP with the “MY HAIR” comment. Your hair will be fine. Go get a wash and set after your lessons, bring your new hair products and leave looking great! Swimming and learning water safety can and will make the difference of survival for someone one day. And I hope because of “Your Hair”, family and friends will not be saddened by a statistic that did not have to be because of “Your Hair!”