Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WHERE'S THE GREASE

OK. Now that you stopped shaking your head or laughing your probably wondering what am I talking about; I will explain. Well for all of us that swim, dry skin is a problem that haunts everyone on a daily basis. For Caucasians, dry skin is a problem but due to their complexion, no one can really can tell by looking unless you examine their skin up close. Now take a person with melanin in their skin, all you have to do is look and you see the dryness. Nothing ever has to be spoken, just look. The words "ashy skin" just pops in the person's head and linger in their thoughts like the smell of brussel sprouts being cooked and that scent just never goes away. Sorry I hate brussel sprouts and that smell. Yuk!!!!

All kidding aside, I have been asked by many what do I use after a long day of teaching or swimming to help my skin not look and feel so dry. I actually use 3 different products with very different price points. Let me say I have used everyone of these products and I truly feel they work the best. Imagine, I've always been told I have such soft skin and I do. But what puzzled me more was when a man would complement me about my skin in my head I would think " what kind women's skin have you been feeling-SANDPAPER?"

The first is a product made by Kiehl's called Creme de Corps. I was fortunate to have a friend, Bernie,  purchase a very nice gift for me for my 40th birthday with many products in this very large box. Thinking back that was the best gift, thanks Bernie. Kiehl's has some of the best products for all types of skin, hair, men, women, children and now pets. The cost is higher than most other moisturizers but the Creme de Corps is fabulous and last forever. The largest bottle with a pump cost $70/33.8 oz. A little goes a long way and as I stated before this product last a long time. No perfume smell and soft to the touch. This one is my favorite. If you purchase products from Kiehl's, they will ask you what other products would you like to try. They will give you samples so you can try new things out and see if you like it before purchasing a larger sized item. Great marketing! I like to use Creme de Corps after my evening shower but I also keep a sample size in my hand bag.

My second recommendation is a product I also used off and on for years, Cetaphil. This product is recommended by Dermatologist and Pediatricians. It may not have the bells and whistles of the other two products I discuss but it works. This product seems to lock in /seal in the moisture. Cetaphil has a full line of lotions, creams, cleansers etc. Just visit their web site and read about each product and how they are to work. For example, Cetaphil Cream is very similar to the Lotion except the Cream prevents the recurrence of dryness and is a long lasting moisturizer. I actually keep a large lotion in my locker at the hospital because after a long day of washing my hands, I need something to make my hands not feel like sandpaper. I found Cetaphil 16 oz lotion at Target for @ $8.99. Great product for a great price.

The third product to make my list is any Shea Souffle by Carol's Daughter. The 16oz jar retails for @ $30.  The product is smooth, thick, soft to the touch and very light. It penetrates the skin well without leaving you all greased up. Carol's Daughter offers a number of scents such as Ocean, Almond Cookie, Estasy and Groove. What's also great about this product is that Lisa Price, the founder of Carol's Daughter, is always coming out with new products and retiring some of the others. This keeps you loving her Shea Souffles because you can't get bored and their is always something new to try. I also feel this product, plus any of her other products for hair, feet, hands, etc. are well worth the money spent.
I hope this helps you navigate the vast world of moisturizers. These are my recommendations that have worked for me. Experiment and see what keeps your skin all moist and baby soft.

See you in the Water.
http://www.swimswimswimisay.com/